Monday 29 August 2011

A 3 x 5

Squat: 165 x 3 x 5. I remember reading what Justin Lascek said about the Texas Method in regards to volume day. He mentioned doing a third of the reps done on volume day on intensity day. I'm progressing a 2 rep max at the moment so I thought it might be better to go down to a 3 x 5 opposed to a 5 x 5. With that said, I bumped the weight up an extra 5 kilos. It was a tough squat session but I probably preferred it to a 5 x 5 at a more sub maximal weight anyway. I suppose as intensity day weight increases, the volume day 5 x 5 probably isn't as realistic in some ways. It has to be modified to some extent at least.

It will be interesting to see how my intensity progresses over the next couple weeks. My immediate goal is to squat 200kg and I figure I should manage that.I read something interesting from Jim Wendler yesterday about only being able to train within 90% of your one rep max for a couple of weeks before the body begins to fail in recovery. In doing the TM, my one rep max is changing every week but with that said, I must be approaching my 1 RM.

Bench: 90 x 4 x 5, 95 x 1 x 5. First four sets were easy so I thought I would bump up the 5th set 5 kg. Did it comfortably. It seems like I will have to program bench volume differently to squat volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment