Thursday 16 August 2012

Hip Problems

It seems I have hip tendonitis. They have just been so sore for a long time and I kept assuming they were going to just get better but it hasn't happened. Thinking back to it, it was probably in January or sometime near there when they started hurting. It could be be related to what Rippetoe talks about in his book. I was looking over it and he says that the knees sliding forward issue is something that usually develops overtime and maybe that's what has happened with me. I know it never used to be a problem but I stopped filming my sets when I started dieting and form issue may have crept in.

I've started the ibuprofen protocol and hopefully, that combined with form analysis via video, I can get through the next few weeks before the meet while also progressing my squat.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts:

    From someone who recently just wasted 10 weeks by trying to squat through hip tendonitis, I strongly advise you to STOP squatting. Now, obviously your condition may be different to mine and you will ultimately have to decide what you think is right for you. But I am only just returning to squatting earnest, today, after 10 weeks of hip tendonitis and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Here is what I would have done differently:

    1. As soon as the hip tendonitis appeared, I would start the ibuprofen protocol and STOP SQUATTING ALL TOGETHER.
    2. Once I had finished the protocol, I would continue to STOP SQUATTING ALL TOGETHER for another 7 days.
    3. I would then resume squatting the EMPTY BAR for a couple of sessions, then 60kg for a few sets of ten.
    4. I would continue squatting a VERY LIGHT weight for 3x10 until there was ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN OR TIGHTNESS WHATS SO EVER.
    5. Only then would I resume squatting in an LP or TM fashion.

    I know Rip and others say to take the ibuprofen and continue squatting or to only take a couple days off. The problem with this, is when you're on the ibuprofen and you squat, you can't FEEL the inflammation but as soon as you get off the ibuprofen, the pain comes RIGHT BACK.

    As I said, yours might be different to mine. But I want you to avoid the misery that I went through and learn from my mistakes.

    Up to you though of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no doubt about it, arthritis can be one of the most painful and debilitating diseases in the world. Unfortunately, the number of people afflicted with arthritis is growing and it's expected that 80% will be affected by arthritis after the ages of 55. This is a very worrying trend, especially when you consider this disease is mostly preventable
    read this page

    ReplyDelete