Friday 19 October 2012

A Pretty Piss Poor Couple Of Days Really

So, yesterday I:

Pressed 70 x 3, 65 x 2 x 3. Of Course I was going for 5 or atleast 4 for a 1 rep improvement on last time I hit this weight. The fact that I only got 3 reps, which merely tied what I got during my pre comp bench cycle, is extremely dissapointing. Despite my efforts to "emphasise my press" it has gotten nowhere while my bench would of almost certainly failed to improve also. Clearly this linear progression I have just run has gotten me nowhere and then again, why should of it? I have done it so many times it clearly just isn't working anymore.

It is time to change to the heavy bench/medium press & heay press/medium bench setup that Jordan mentioned to me. Jordan, where do you get the idea for this again? It just sounds so damn logical. It gives me the oppurtunity to progress both lifts once a week, while also doing both lifts 2 x a week. Jamie Lweis recommmends it in his programming also.

Bench: 96 x 5 x 1.

Dips: 22.5 x 5, 5, 10.

RTCPDs: 54 x 3 x 12

Incline: 60 x 5 x 5.

BW: 84.1kg. Atleast there is some good news. I have put on almost 5kg since the end of soccer season and I can still fit into the last whole on my belt (it's tighter than it used to be though). I have clearly put on some muscle mass and exercises like weighted dips continue to improve.

Today I:

DL: 205 x 2. Dissapointing. Wanted 3. My lower back was feeling fatigued in the warm ups and that gave me the impression that I wasn't going to be a good day. A shitty warm up is almost always a bad sign. These are just the ebs and flows of training I guess. However, next week, unless I'm feeling really fresh, I will do something a bit easier like 180 x 3. Then the following week, start making 2.5kg jumps and try and hit 207.5 x 3 fresh.

Shrugs: 210 x 3 x 5, 110 x 25, 100 x 11 + 4 (no straps). This last set is to work on my grip.

Squat Rehab: 60 x 5, 80 x 2 x 5. Fine.

Pull ups: 6 x 6. Just did as many sets of 6 as I could with short rest.

Hammer Curls: 16 x 10, 14 x 10.


5 comments:

  1. Did you get Jamie's new book? Worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, if you have $30 to spare, it's worth it. Lot's of good info in there plus I find Jamie's humor good value all on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The $30 is not the problem but I'm already drowning in training literature. :-) I was thinking the Jim Steel's "Book of Programs" is enough to last me a life time. But you are right I appreciate Jamie's humor and I like his approach to training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha yea, I love having the good stuff piling up! Yea, will always look forward to Jim's programs.

    Mike, have you got a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No blog atm. Only my trusty excel sheet. Maybe I'll set one up after this training cycle. If you are interested I'll send you the link.

    ReplyDelete