Sunday 21 April 2013

Riding A Wave

Yesterday was suppossed to be my second last session of that wave block hitting 97.5 x 2 x 5. I did indeed hit 97.5 x 2 x 5 but I ended up doin a bit more and it turned into a great session. Just as I was beginning my bench session, my mate Joe turned up. He's about my age, 77kg, lean as fuck, 5 foot 8 and close to a 1RM on the bench of 140kg. He's currently running Smolov junior for his bench and it's working well at the moment.

Anyway, we had our bench session  together and it definitely gave me a lift; I think training with someone who is stronger than you is definitely a good idea.

After I finished my 2 top sets, he encouraged me to do more. First I hit 100 x 5 but I could of smashed this set for 8 (and maybe I should of). Then put 105 on the bar. I was confident of a PR at this stage despit all of the reps I had just done. I hit 105 for 4 and got stuck half way up on the 5th. Somewhat remarkably (maybe not so remarkably?) I'm stronger on my bench now than what I was when I began my press cycle a couple of months ago, and this is all after only a couple of wave blocks without benching over 100kg once. I think my theory that benching heavy too often on the Texas Method was making me weaker was correct. But I kind of figured that out myself a couple of months ago when my own, volume orientated programme resulted in PRs.

I also squatted 175 x 5,165 x 5 (didn't feel great) and deadlifted a few reps. Apparently my back was set for each rep but it just didn't feel good. Back is a bit of a mess at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment